Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Of goodbyes and nonesuch

Well I have to say March has been a bit of a downer. More of a roller coaster really, as there were some "ups", but some unhappy things did occur.

We buried Nana on the 9th. My sister-in-law died on the 28th. Then our family cat, Mika, was found at rest under a bed last Wednesday. Mika was our "daughter" before our daughter was, and though she was old and ill, it was a shock. This is enough sadness for any person, but for my kids it has been especially difficult. My sweet Sean is strong and stoic as always. Tommy is, fortunately, blissfully unaware. But my Kate is an emotional girl, and she has cried a fair amount of tears this month. Tuesday and Wednesday were a one-two punch for us, as we found out about Jenna's passing the day before our cat died.

Happily, we have new life to celebrate! My newest niece Melanie Anne was born on March 9th. She is a beautiful, healthy little girl and I breathe in her new baby smell every chance I get.

Pat had a "procedure" last week, the really invasive kind where many good drugs are given and you wear the gown only. We were blessed to receive a "pristine" report. One less thing, I say. After the last few years in our family, medical tests have become real nail biters, and for once I am glad we had one that was probably unnecessary.

Of a few things I am certain. Time will march on, and happy times will be had, more so than unhappy times. I am also certain that my God is the same God He was in February. All things will be redeemed. Our plans give way to His.

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. (Psalm 30:11-12)

No comments: