This past weekend we had a party for Tommy, who turned five. Most of his cousins were here, loads of his aunts and uncles. Grandma, of course. We had a lot of food, and a lot of fun. Typical birthday party and family gathering type of stuff. And such a gift.
Our family gatherings in recent months have not been so joyous, so carefree. In fact, the last time we all got together, it was to say goodbye to my father-in-law. The time before that, my father was here and it was all very bittersweet. The time before that, it was Father's Day, and we all knew things would not be the same next year. I could go back a few more months, but you get the picture.
This gathering was here, in our home. Our home where my husband's family grew up, and where my father-in-law was still living the last time most of them were in it. I am sure it was very difficult for some of them to be here. I also secretly hope that is the sole reason not one of them has visited here since July, but I will save that for another neurotic post. In any case, I know it must have been hard for them.
So in that respect I am so glad we had such a good time, such a happy occasion to celebrate. It was definitely different. I remember at one point thinking the kids needed to quiet down because Grandpa had gone to bed. He always retired early. Those moments, those thoughts still creep in from time to time. But I also know he was there, as was my mother-in-law, smiling and laughing at the kids and the good time we were all having. Smiling at the family gathering that is still so important. Everything has changed, yet nothing really has.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment