Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Polanski

So, what am I missing here?

By all accounts, Roman Polanski gave a thirteen year old child champagne and Quaaludes, then raped and sodomized her.

He later pleaded guilty to a lesser crime, for which he was convicted. And to the people saying he was never convicted of "rape-rape", being convicted of a lesser crime does not erase the crime you committed. Wait, only a dumbass wouldn't know that.

After his conviction, he decided to hightail it out of dodge before he was sentenced. Not surprising.

Now he has been arrested, and we want to bring him home to face what he admitted to. Maybe even what he didn't admit to, but I am sure that is asking too much. He is, after all, a snake.

Oh, but wait! He directed some great films! Surely he needs to receive sympathy and a complete legal pass because he is a Hollywood icon. Hollywood seems to think so. Wait, only a dumbass would think that.

Oh, but wait, there's more! His (barely) teenage victim has grown up and publicly forgiven him. We don't need to serve any justice; if she can forgive him, so can we. I was raped at fourteen. My attacker also managed to escape justice. Heck, he managed to escape being caught at all. And yes, I have forgiven him. But that is not about him, that is about me and moving on with my life. I am sure it is the same for her. You can bet your Oscar that if he was caught today, I would make it my mission to see justice is served. I may have forgiven him, but that is not justice for me or for him. I am owed that, and so is she.

So again, what am I missing here?

No comments: